The Hobbit (boardgame)
Milton Bradley, 1977
A child's 3-D boardgame.
There is not much to say about this game. It is a typical 3-D childs game that were popular back then, with a theme from The Hobbit. You set up the pieces that adds backgrounds and elevates the board to two levels. Basically, you roll the dice and move your pawn. The first person to get to the finish, wins. To help explain the game play, it is just as easy to show you the rules:
- Choose a Hobbit pawn, put it in the bases which matches the color of the cloak, and place it at start.
- Roll the dice. High roll goes first; all other players follow in turn clockwise.
- To move, roll the dice and move your pawn the number of spaces showing on the dice.
- If you land on a space occupied by another player, a Hobbit, that player misses a turn.
- Green Spaces (with gold rings) and Stop Spaces (Spiders & Captured By Elves) are safe. More than one Hobbit can occupy these spaces without anyone losing a turn.
- Enter this circle and move in the direction of the arrow (counterclockwise).
- You can only leave this circle by landing on one of the two Escape spaces by exact count.
- If the number you roll carries you past the Escape, you must continue around the path until you land on one of the Escape spaces.
- When you land on Escape, move your Hobbit to the green space marked with a ring on the other side of the
. Misty Mountains
- After you leave the
Troll Circle, move along the path to the Gollum Circle.
- On this circle, you must continue to move around the circle until your Hobbit lands on a colored space that matches the color of your Hobbits base.
- When your Hobbit lands on the right color, move it to the green space marked with a ring.
- After you leave the
Gollum Circle, the path brings you to the Goblins.
- On this circle, you must land on Saved By Eagles to excape.
- When you land on a Saved space, move your Hobbit onto the green space on the raised section.
- When moving through this section, you must stop on each of the three Spider Spaces no matter how high your dice roll is.
- When you stop on the first Spider, roll the dice again.
- If you roll a 2, 4, or 6, you must stay on that space and roll again on your next turn.
- If you roll a 1, 3, or 5, move to the second Spider space and wait there till your next turn to roll again.
- You need to roll a 1, 3, or 5 in order to move to the third Spider. Wait till your next turn to roll again.
- After you have killed the third Spider (by rolling a 1, 3, or 5), move your Hobbit to the green space. Wait there till your next turn to continue along the path.
- Move from the green space along the path to the space marked Stop! Captured by Elves!
- When you get to this space, you must stop and roll the dice again.
- If you roll a 1, 3, or 5, you must stay on the space and roll again on your next turn.
- If you roll a 2, 4, or 6, move your Hobbit to the green space at the base of the waterfall.
- Continue along the path on your next turn.
The first player to reach the last space by exact count wins the game.
Game consists of the following:
Game platform (board)
2 cardboard parts sheets (to build the 3-D board)
4 Hobbit pawns
4 Plastic bases
1 Rubber band